Sunday, May 17, 2009

Earthquake Virginity Status = Negative

We had an earthquake here about 25 minutes ago now (8:39pm Sunday night our time). I was downstairs and Jen had just taken Callum upstairs to put him to bed. It started with a low intensity vibration, nothing more than what a truck driving past might generate. Jen says she thought Callum was jumping up and down in his crib. Finally we got a decent jolt after about 5 seconds, enough to get Callum's attention. I heard him make a panicky noise. Jen apparently scooped him up pretty quick at that point. It was over pretty soon after that - the whole thing lasted less than 10 seconds.

This is the first one that Callum has noticed. I do recall another one last year sometime when it was just him and I at home and I was feeding him a bottle on the couch. He didn't even break his sucking rhythm for that one. So I think it is fair to say that he is no longer and Earthquake Virgin.

The USGS is reporting a preliminary magnitude of 5.0, but I will be surprised if it remains that high, based on what I felt and how close the epicenter was (about 2 miles due east of LAX). I would expect a 5.0 to generate a little more entertainment based on some of the 3s and 4s I have experienced since I have been here.

No comments: