Monday, May 5, 2008

Monday In San Francisco

Flew up to San Francisco yesterday (Sunday) afternoon to spend the week here for the JavaOne conference (for the uninitiated, it is a conference for software developers).

Hit the Wunder Brewing Company yesterday afternoon. It is new and wasn't here last time I was in San Francisco. It was pretty good actually, decent beer and the menu had more on it than the usual all-fried bar food.

Today there were 2 events going on (the conference doesn't start properly until Tuesday). The first was CommunityOne which is a small more informal one day conference for all of the open source developers/projects. There was also Java University. I registered for both and drifted between the 2 to see sessions I was interested in.

In the afternoon I took off for a couple of hours to take the tour at the Anchor Brewing Company. They don't offer tours on the weekends and the tours are booked out a month in advance, so I was organized well in advance for this trip. The tour was good and there was a tasting at the end. Not as interesting as some of the free tastings at other breweries since I had actually had every beer they brew previously, so there was nothing new to try. But I stuck it out and re-tried all of their beers to not offend them!

Here are a few photos I snapped:
Anchor Brewery Tour


After the conference ended this afternoon, I went with some of the guys from my team to see the Oakland A's play the Baltimore Orioles. Usually I would go see a Giants (Jen's team) game instead, but they are playing away for the whole week. Anyway, it was a slow game, the A's finally won 2-1 in the bottom of the 10th inning.

Anyway, the conference starts for real early in the morning and runs through Friday night. Going to grab some sleep now as it will probably be the last good night's sleep for the rest of the week.

No comments: