Friday, May 2, 2008

Do you speak english?

WARNING - RANT TO FOLLOW

I speak English. In fact I have for a while now. Most people seem to be able to understand what I say (which doesn't necessarily mean they understand 'why' I am saying it, but that is a different issue).

But there is a small group of people that seem to struggle to understand me. I do not know why this group is different than everyone else. They seem to communicate with others freely, they seem to understand at least some English, they must have filled out some kind of employment application, but they do not understand me.

They are the coffee slingers ('barrista' is way too lofty a goal for these folks) at every chain place in the US it would appear. Starbucks? Check. Dierdrichs? Check. Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf? Big check.

Here is the cup I was handed today at the CB&TL near our house. It was not overly noisy when I ordered and I did not have a sore throat. And yet, this is apparently what my name is ...



Clearly "Do you posses even a slight grasp on common sense?" was not one of the questions on the employment form. At no point did the name "Kreg" seem strange enough for this person to even double check she heard me correctly.

This wouldn't be rant worthy as an isolated incident. However, as Jen can attest this is another episode in a long, long list of name misspellings at coffee shops.

No comments: