Friday, April 18, 2008

Hearing Damage is Suprisingly Entertaining

The details of the first real concert I ever went to have faded in my mind somewhat, but here is what I remember.

It was at Thebarton Theatre in Adelaide. It was a school night and I went with 2 or three friends from high school. Somebody else's Mum (its a story about Australia so I am going to spell Mum that way) dropped us off and another someone else's Mum picked us up at the door. The support band (which now with hind sight was a really good deal) was Cheap Trick, touring on the strength of "The Flame" (you know you remember it). The headline band was The Angels touring in support of their "Beyond Salvation" album.

I recall coming out of that concert and squeezing into the back seat of the car, hot, sweaty and dirty (can't even imagine what we smelled like to the driver) and basically screaming at each other because our ears were ringing so badly we could barely hear. This was the start of a long tradition of loud concerts and repetitive hearing damage. I have faith that science will be ready to just implant new hardware in my head to fix the issue if it ever becomes a problem in the future.

Anyway, The Angels were a huge band in Australia in the late 70's and then through most of 80's and even marginally into the 90's. However, I expect no one reading this blog from other parts of the world have even remotely heard of them. Definitely a rock n' roll band, not something your mother would be interested in, but not heavy metal either. They broke up sometime during the 90's, but have just announced they are getting back together. Yay!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,26278,23556647-10388,00.html

No comments: