Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Universal Studios

Today all of us (Jen, Callum, Mum and I) checked off one of the last "must do" items on Mum's to do list - Universal Studios.

On the drive up we passed through the I-110 and I-105 freeway interchange - for my money, the most imposing freeway interchange in the LA area, but only if you are traveling on the 110, it doesn't look as good if you are on the 105. A drive through this interchange tends to reinforce Australian tourists' usual pre-conceived opinion that LA is a concrete jungle.

We arrived early and we picked a great day as it was off season and the middle of the week so there were very few lines at any of the rides and attractions. But, as is usual with theme parks, it still takes the whole day to get through everything and we finally book out of there about 10 minutes after the park officially closed. We then had dinner at Karl Strauss Brewing Company in the City Walk area.

I did have an interesting father-son moment at the park today. Jen and I decided that the Terminator 2 "experience" ride was not appropriate for Callum (loud explosions, smoke, flashing lights etc.). So since I had been on it previously on another visit, Mum and Jen went on it and I hung out with Callum. In a spectacular stroke of luck, right across from the Terminator ride was a tiny little bar made up to look like part of an Irish street scene. So I was able to imbibe a pint of Redhook ESB while I waited for the ladies. So Callum and I shared a beer (on an emotional level only of course) for the first time in a bar. I am sure I got dirty looks from some uptight folks as they walked past and saw me with a beer in one hand and the kid under the other arm. Screw 'em.

Anyway, here are the photos you requested: http://picasaweb.google.com/craigsdickson/UniversalStudios?authkey=rayxdZLa270

No comments: