Sunday, October 19, 2008

Up Close & Personal with a 747

After our adventure at Disneyland this morning, Jen and Callum dropped me at LAX airport so that I could get on a plane to Austin, Texas for the next few days for a conference.

We arrived at the airport a little early so I had time to kill after I once again braved the inhumanity that is airport security these days. So I hit the Frequent Flyers Club and watched some football.

While sitting there I noticed an Australian icon going past.



But then something quite impressive happened, they towed that bad boy right into the gate near where I was sitting. In fact when I say "near", that is probably the biggest understatement of the year. Check out the photo below.



By the time they finished manouvering it around, I think the front tip of the nose of the plane was probably less than 4 meters (12 ft) from my feet. I just sat there, didn't move and they pulled it right up to me. Very cool.

Now if only it had been one of their new A380s - now that would have been something.

No comments: